Thursday, October 7, 2010

Don't tell me what not to do...

Wow. I used to think I was pretty spiffy when I remembered to put a few sticky notes up with thngs I wanted to remember for my writing. Then I saw this. It looks so formidable, yet comfortable and lived in. Want.

I've decided recently that there are no rules in fiction writing until you break one. That sounds tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, everything depends on the effect the author is trying to go for. This isn't to say that you can ignore grammar, because writing and fiction writing are different things entirely, but with grammar, you need to at least know how to follow the rules before you can break them. Fiction, on the other hand, really has no rules. There are just things that don't work for a particular story.

No comments:

Post a Comment