Thursday, January 6, 2011

Blah, blah, blah...

Omigoodness, but my narrator talks a lot. I mean, a lot.

I'm blatantly ripping of my narration style from NaNo this past year, using a first-person narrator for a lot of it, interspersed with some third-person and some storybook-like interludes. And I'm remembering (again) why I usually don't do first-person narration.

Because my narrators talk. A lot.

I think it's because it's in their head and their head ends up being a lot like my own head - rattling down the tracks, only to stop every three seconds to notice/explain/wonder at whatever shiny/non-shiny/slimy/furry thing happens to cross said tracks. Which is all well and good inside someone's actual head, but not so great for telling a story.

Nevertheless, I'm doing writing and if nothing else, the first-person infodumps are helping me hash out the world itself (seeing as how I typically do little to no actual worldbuilding beforehand).

The difficulty is going to be to keep my narrator from coming across as a femi-nazi. Which she sort of is. But it's not what this story is about.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe, yeah my narrators talk a lot too. And one of my characters who's meant to be all withdrawn and stuff, I find him talking way too much sometimes. lol. gotta work on that. he may be THINKING everything he says, but he shouldn't actually be saying it.

    ReplyDelete