Thursday, January 27, 2011

Laughing at myself...

Funny that right after I should write an entire blog entry about how I seem to be unable to write anything but angst, I sit down with a fresh notebook and wrote two entire pages of a non-angsty beginning to a second draft.

Yes, I'm starting afresh. Probably something like over six thousand words on my last draft and I'm sort of ditching them and beginning again.

Do I consider those words a waste? Do I consider that time and the act of throwing it all away to be completely pointless?

Nope.

This is how I write.

It's a messy mess of a mess. Full of false starts and redundant redundancy. Those thousands of words I wrote showed me what didn't work and gave me ideas for things that would work. And now I have a quirky beginning, the sort of light-hearted prose I was whining about not being able to write.

The moral: I shouldn't whine about how I can't do something until I try.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how those things can turn around and become positives, isn't it? :)

    Glad to hear you've found your writing voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. False starts is how we figure out things don't work. I do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, still laughing at myself.

    Though this is just a second attempt. We'll see what happens with it.

    ReplyDelete