Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Viruses and Hedgehogs and Lampreys, oh my...

“Language is a virus from outer space.” – William S. Burroughs
It is my firm belief that writers are highly susceptible to the virus.,We are obsessed with manipulating and exploring language. We are also the primary vectors by which it propagates, evidenced by our mad drive to shove our virus-laden pages at other people.
My brain is riddled with cosmic microbes and I must share them with you!
~ Paul E. Holmes, on a blog comment at Chuck Wendig's Terribleminds

Yeah, it stuck with me for some reason.

In writing news, I actually did some today! Yay me and actually starting a project when I said I was going to! The writing isn't great, but it's a first draft. I'm just telling myself that over and over again as I hash out a rough roadmap for the story.

I can't plan beforehand. Really. I end up overthinking and tinkering and not actually writing until I've convinced myself it's a lost cause. Much better for me to just jump in without looking to see how far I actually have to swim or how there's a pit of lampreys between me and the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment