Friday, December 31, 2010

Farewell to Reverb...

December 31 – Core Story What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.)

As much as I would love to be able to look back and see a central story of ME, it's hard. I mean, it takes so much sifting and cutting and abridgment to find any kind of linearity in a person's life. Sure, in hindsight, maybe, which is biographers can do it, but for a person caught on the inside, it's hard.

That said, I've noticed a few things about myself just in Reverb this year.

1) I tend to obsess about things for quite a while. Like, I watch a movie, or read a book, or have an idea, and I harp on it for a long time afterward. Not that this is a bad thing. As one of my most favorite YouTubers pointed out (among other things) in this video, this is called "being nerdy". And one of the great things about nerds is that we can revel in our unabashed enthusiasm for things.

2) I tend to apologize a lot, or guilt trip myself for things. Actually, I've known this about myself for a long time. For an example of me doing this, just look to all the times I complained about a Reverb entry not being writing-related. After all, this is my writing-related blog. This, even though I told myself at the beginning that the point of Reverb was to keep me writing. And any writing is writing-related.

3) My life revolves around writing. And I think the story of finding yourself as a writer is so intertwined with finding yourself as a person that the two are inseparable. It takes so much development from a person to make a writer and for a writer, being a writer makes up so much of themselves as a person.

I guess you could call number three something of a core story.

No comments:

Post a Comment