Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thus begins a new challenge...

For the month of December, I'm participating in Reverb10, mostly to keep myself blogging in the wake of NaNo, when I usually descend into a period of non-productivity as I try to recharge my creative batteries. So, if you liked my meme-ness during the month of November, you'll love Reverb in the month of December. If you hated the meme-ness, too bad. This is my blog. Blah.

In the interest of keeping me on task with writing, I'm going to try to maintain a writerly theme with the prompts from Reverb. No idea what the prompts will actually be, but here's to jumping in feet first and seeing where I land.

On to prompt one!


December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
Boneless.

In retrospect, this year, writing-wise, felt very disjointed, in that loose-limbed way you get when you've exercised too hard and do the wobbly-kneed walk of the over-exerted. (Ode to my love affair with the hyphen...)

I did a lot of writing over 2010. I really did. But it doesn't feel like it because I didn't really complete anything. I have eleven months' worth of scribbles, blog posts, story scenes and half-filled notebooks, but, with the exception of NaNoWriMo, no finished projects that I can recall. There is no skeleton, no backbone, no cohesion to the year, just a lot of small jerks of inspiration.

I wish there were a way to pull up everything I'd ever written in a particular year, anywhere, and put them in one place so I could read it all. The reviews, rants, nonsense and deep pondering that I've done and likely forgotten in the months after. There is a lot to be said for the random bits of insight and inspiration that don't really fit into anything but are just waiting to be developed into something more.

As for 2011, I'd like for it to be "collected". Not necessarily organized, not necessarily finished or edited or even comprehensible, but I'd like to be able to, in December of 2011, go back and do just what I wished for above - have a stack of all the disjointed, half-baked, glorious thought and just be able to swim in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment